Friday, March 27, 2009

Sumo Arabic Brochure


Sumo Arabic Brochure, originally uploaded by jimmysumo.


The lovely folk at Sumo asked me to do some illustrations in connection with their project with an amazing new museum in Qatar.
Jim Richardson sent me through these pics of the brochure they designed with one of my illos on the cover.
It was an interesting job to do, as I had to draw a mixture of Arabic and Western people in the gallery setting (which looks like a giant sand dune, by the way) but at the same time, be respectful of Islamic customs and culture. I hope I got it right!
In the process of researching this job, I came across some fantastic Arabic art websites and blogs, such as Fann 3arabi...and discovered a couple of inspiring Arabic calligraphers too, such as Malik Anas, an Iraqi calligrapher based in Baghdad.

1 comment:

Sarah J Coleman said...

Those links are just what I needed - am about to do an Arabic-style title for a new series of teenage fiction, and you forget just how gorgeous and inspirational this stuff is!

Related Posts with Thumbnails